Traces of Touch

serendipity into the oblivion

Posts Tagged ‘arduino

Arduino+Serproxy+Flash

leave a comment »

Im currently teaching a course at The Oslo School of Architecture and Design in tangible computing. The course has a theme of pain and pleasure which nearly all of the students have interpreted into pain. Guess being evil is more fun.

The reason for this post is not about the workshop even though it is fun to be back in a messy and creative studio but more of sharing how to run Arduino+Serproxy+Flash(AS3Glue)  in fullscreen. As you might know when you Publish your flash project inside Adobe Flash you get the Sandbox treatment and everything is allowed. This enables your flash project to communicate with the Serproxy that makes the whole  process work. But as you also might know  is that there isnt any fullscreen mode when you run your project from inside Adobe Flash but there is this option  when you run the swf file in the flash player.

So to give your swf file proper permissions you need to add a config file. The file should be located at

  • Windows: system\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrust(t.ex. C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrust)
  • Mac: app support/Macromedia/FlashPlayerTrust(t.ex. /Library/Application Support/Macromedia/FlashPlayerTrust)

The easiest way to approach this is to copy another config file already located there for example kuler.cfg and change  the link inside.

For example  my project is located at C:\Users\sjunnesson\Documents\Flash\AOHworkshop so I will just copy this into the config file I just created replacing whatever was in there before and then save. This should give all your swf laying in that folder full permissions to do whatever they want since they are added to the trusted list and you are ready to rock away with your flash project in fullscreen with funky inputs.

*UPDATE*

After trying a bit more I figured out that another way to get around this problem is to publish your project as a Windows project or Macintosh project. This will also give you enough permissions to run the serproxy flash combo. Might go faster in many situations.

Written by sjunnesson

December 8, 2010 at 17:16

Posted in Flash

Tagged with , , ,

Touch tests

with one comment

Today I have been testing my newly acquired QT1106 touch sensor. I decided to buy it from Rachels Electronics which turned out be a very good experience. Some times this very small shops has this extra nice customer service and this time I managed to get a special shipping option that fitted my needs and perfect packaging and of course a very good IC.

I decided to just connect the IC by itself and some leds as output together with the arduino terminal and after some thinkering with the code to get the calibration correct and to set it up in “wheel mode” I had a  nice test bench. The QT1106 has some nice features that it can  modify its resolution between 4 steps to 256 steps so I decided to implement some of those functions together with an autocalibration to get it working nicely and to faster iterate. Below you can see my steps I took putting it together and a small video of it working and you can also download the arduino code here.

Written by sjunnesson

July 29, 2010 at 22:57

Posted in prototyping

Tagged with , ,

First prototype eagle files

leave a comment »

I have a long time had a urge to start prototyping and testing things out and today I decided it was time for it. You can only learn so much from reading books and studying other peoples test and to break new ground you have to do your own test. The first prototype will be a touch slider built upon the arduino platform as an shield that will attach on top of it. I have built the prototype in eagle and you can find the eagle files here if you are interested to modify and build upon it and I’m also attaching below the exported pictures from eagle I will use for the laser cutter and the schematic.

The idea is that I will take  this files that I get out from eagle and then using the lasercutter to etch away a layer of spray paint applied to a copper protoboard and then put the whole board into etching acids to get rid of the unwanted copper and hopefully in the end finish with a onesided arduino shield that will fit nicely on top of an arduino duemilanove. I have made all my components surface mounted so that I can easily baked them in a toaster over if I so desire. Since it is so few components I might decide to hand solder them will see how it turns out.

Written by sjunnesson

July 13, 2010 at 17:39

Posted in prototyping

Tagged with , , ,